Create a user and robot friendly website
Google’s primary task is to serve users with content that will fully meet their needs. Before you start working on the substantive and content layer of the website, first take care of the way it actually looks. Think about the structure and placement of the information. Make sure the most important elements stand out. The menu navigation must be simple to use by your client and the payment or delivery section should be easy to get to. Do everything you can to make the usage of your website as simple as possible!
Choose keywords and optimize your website
Before you start optimizing your website, think about what keywords will be relevant and why. Do these phrases fully go along with what you do? What words would you type when looking for a product or service similar to yours? The list you come up with will be the basis for creating new content for your website!
Each page should have accurate tags responsible for its appearance in search results. The meta title is for the headline and can’t exceed 65 characters with spaces. Remember – the tag influences the position of your website, so you should include a keyword in it. The meta description, on the other hand, is a description that is primarily sales-relevant. Here’s your chance to use 300+ characters and encourage the user to learn about your services.
When optimizing your site, pay attention to the construction of URLs. Your URLs should be as simple as possible and without special characters. Each link should be configured in a way that will allow you to easily change it later. Fortunately, WordPress users don’t need to bother about this. The system automatically generates google-friendly addresses.
Remember about the right text structure
Working on content is one of the most important parts of the SEO process. By creating attractive and engaging texts, you encourage the user to stay longer on your website. We—as SEO professionals—recommend creating a blog on your webpage. This would be an ideal place to publish substantive content for your clients. In addition, it will facilitate internal linking that is also very important for SEO.
When creating new content or optimizing the one you already have on your site, remember that the text:
- must be unique — do not copy-paste parts or whole content from other sites. First of all — it’s plagiarism! And second — it’s a perfect way to get your position lowered in Google;
- should be grammarly correct and useful for the user — remember to follow the rules of correct language. Try to include only the necessary information in the text. Don’t generalize and don’t write for the sake of just writing. A short but valuable text can turn out to be better than treading water and trotted out platitudes;
- should be saturated with right keywords — focus on adding key phrases you care about into the text. Do it all with restraint, keeping the optimal proportion. Expert tip: let keywords appear 2-3 times per 1,000 characters. You don’t have to start sentences or paragraphs with them, or use it in every subheading — let it occur naturally.
- must have H1, H2, H3 tags in the subtitles — each will be an appropriate introduction to the content later on. It is also an information, both for the reader and the Google robot, where the text is located;
- should also encourage action — we are talking here about the popular “Call To Action (CTA)”. A well-done interaction will make the potential customer order your product. A good idea here is to use referrals with a phone number or email.
Check the responsiveness of your website
Websites that are not responsive lose favor in the eyes of users and the search engine itself. What does responsiveness mean? It’s the popular RWD (Responsive Web Design), which is about making your web adaptable for tablets and smartphones. Simply, make sure you can easily use your page on desktop, laptop and any mobile devices.
More and more sites are opting for AMP (Accelerated Mobile Page). Websites that use AMP are marked in the search engine with a lightning bolt sign next to the meta description. This mark is visible now only on mobile devices.
It takes time
Remember that the SEO effects of the changes will not be seen immediately. It takes time to be better indexed and start showing up in the search engine. There is no clear answer to the indexing time question. The first results can be seen after a few hours or after a few weeks. SEO is a time consuming process. When deciding to go for it, you should arm yourself with a good strategy, patience, and regularity.